Congratulations to our two latest Guardian Angel recipients, Irene Botham and Sharron Pottle, awarded during our Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast on Tuesday, April 17 by Mary Wilson Trider, President and CEO.
Sharron, or ‘mama bear’ as she’s affectionately referred to by staff on the Continuing Complex Care unit nominated Sharron because she constantly goes out of her way to support not only her husband Eric, who lives on the unit, but also countless other residents, family and staff there as well.
Some of the ways she supports the unit include:
- Decorating for special holidays and occasions
- Helping serve food at meal and nutrition breaks
- Folding towels
- Sharing homemade, delicious baked goods
- Doing the dishes
- Bringing residents a warm blanket at night
- Asking staff how they are doing when they are super busy
On top of all this, Sharron also volunteers in the Hospital gift shop and supports the Foundation by selling tickets and helping with events.
Irene has been a volunteer with Fairview Manor for over 20 years, having started after retiring from her job there as a receptionist. She has been the Secretary/Treasurer for the FVM Residents Council since the beginning. She then joined the Auxiliary attending their monthly meetings and helping out with a wide variety of activities including:
- modelling in fashion shows
- serving at parties
- cooking and serving at special breakfasts,
- operating the tuck shop cart,
- decorating for Christmas
- helping residents on shopping trips
- taking her turn as the President of the Auxiliary.
Irene also helps out with our fundraising efforts, working at our bazaar and providing baking to sell as well as helping make our apple pies for that fundraiser.
These two special ladies enhance the quality of care received by our patients and residents and are truly Guardian Angels within our institution.